An Inflection Point for the Markets, Just Days Away
Author: Greg Valliere
June 26, 2019
AN INFLECTION POINT: Once or twice a year, a major event sets the tone in financial markets for months to follow — and such an event is coming on Saturday, when Donald Trump and Xi Jinping meet in Japan.
PROGRESS THIS WEEK: High-level negotiators from both countries have made progress this week, and are preparing for the announcement that talks will resume. Most importantly, the U.S. reportedly is willing to delay the imposition of new tariffs, as reported this morning by the South China Morning Post. How long Trump will delay new tariffs will be crucial.
IF THE TWO LEADERS FAIL TO AGREE to new talks, the market reaction would be swift — negative for stocks (and both economies) with a near-certain rate cut from the Fed in July, and the likelihood of more easing moves in the fall and winter. If the two sides agree to more talks, the Fed would still be likely to ease next month and perhaps once more in the fall if inflation remains dormant.
THE DEVIL’S IN THE DETAILS: A friendly photo op and a resumption of talks does not mean a final deal is imminent; it almost certainly will not come this weekend, despite happy talk this morning from Stephen Mnuchin. A half dozen contentious issues remain, including an enforcement mechanism and China’s theft of U.S. intellectual property. The rhetoric from both sides has been bitter in recent weeks, and the tone on Saturday could be chilly.
SO WE WOULD CAUTION against unrealistic expectations. Trump puts a positive spin on everything, but a final deal is probably months away — and if talks drag on, Trump could throw more tariffs into the mix, a potential deal-breaker for China. We think Trump is in no great rush for a final deal, because the Fed will stay accommodative until there’s a signed pact.
A KEY FOR TRUMP is his political support in this ongoing trade war. Members of both parties have favored a hard line on China, but we sense a weariness in the farm belt and among U.S. businesses reliant on components from China. The uncertainty is becoming a major drag on the U.S. economy.
WE WILL STICK WITH OUR ODDS: A 40% chance of failure, either this weekend or in the fall; a 40% chance of a modest deal, and a 20% chance of a truly meaningful treaty with significant structural reforms. So there’s a 60% chance of a deal, in our opinion, in the next few months. The process should resume on Saturday, an inflection point that could ease market anxiety over a protracted trade war.
The views expressed in this blog are provided as a general source of information based on information available as of the date of publication and should not be considered as personal investment advice or an offer or solicitation to buy and/or sell securities. Speculation or stated believes about future events, such as market or economic conditions, company or security performance, or other projections represent the beliefs of the author and do not necessarily represent the view of AGF, its subsidiaries or any of its affiliated companies, funds or investment strategies. Every effort has been made to ensure accuracy in these commentaries at the time of publication; however, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Market conditions may change and AGF accepts no responsibility for individual investment decisions arising from the use of or reliance on the information contained herein. Any financial projections are based on the opinions of the author and should not be considered as a forecast. The forward looking statements and opinions may be affected by changing economic circumstances and are subject to a number of uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from those contemplated in the forward looking statements. The information contained in this commentary is designed to provide you with general information related to the political and economic environment in the United States. It is not intended to be comprehensive investment advice applicable to the circumstances of the individual.
AGF Investments is a group of wholly owned subsidiaries of AGF Management Limited, a Canadian reporting issuer. The subsidiaries included in AGF Investments are AGF Investments Inc. (AGFI), Highstreet Asset Management Inc. (Highstreet), AGF Investments America Inc. (AGFA), AGF Asset Management (Asia) Limited (AGF AM Asia) and AGF International Advisors Company Limited (AGFIA). AGFA is a registered advisor in the U.S. AGFI and Highstreet are registered as portfolio managers across Canadian securities commissions. AGFIA is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland and registered with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission. AGF AM Asia is registered as a portfolio manager in Singapore. The subsidiaries that form AGF Investments manage a variety of mandates comprised of equity, fixed income and balanced assets.
About AGF Management Limited
Founded in 1957, AGF Management Limited (AGF) is an independent and globally diverse asset management firm. AGF brings a disciplined approach to delivering excellence in investment management through its fundamental, quantitative, alternative and high-net-worth businesses focused on providing an exceptional client experience. AGF’s suite of investment solutions extends globally to a wide range of clients, from financial advisors and individual investors to institutional investors including pension plans, corporate plans, sovereign wealth funds and endowments and foundations.
For further information, please visit AGF.com.
© 2020 AGF Management Limited. All rights reserved.