Canada and U.S. diverge on jobs
Author: Portfolio Specialist Group
September 10, 2018
“A recap of last week’s top economic news and what’s to come”
Canada loses jobs in August, U.S. adds
- August saw a loss of 51.6k net jobs from the Canadian economy. The unemployment rate rose 0.2 percentage points to 6.0%.
- Net losses were concentrated in Ontario, which shed 80.1k jobs, sending its unemployment rate up to 5.7% (from 5.4%).
- The U.S. economy added 201,000 jobs, but the unemployment rate stayed at 3.9%, near an 18-year low.
Bank of Canada stays pat
- The Bank of Canada held its key monetary policy interest rate at 1.50%, meeting market and economists’ expectations.
- The BoC said the housing market was “beginning to stabilize as households adjust[ed] to higher interest rates and changes in housing policies,” but warned it was paying close attention to NAFTA negotiations.
U.S. manufacturing jumps in August
- U.S. manufacturing activity in August climbed to a 14-year high fueled by an increase in production and new orders.
- The final reading of the U.S. ISM Manufacturing Index was 63.3, up from the July reading of 58.5.
- The JP Morgan Global Manufacturing PMI slowed for the fourth month in a row, falling to 52.5 from 52.8.
What’s to come
Canadian housing numbers and U.S. CPI and retail sales
Housing starts and new home sales highlight economic data in Canada next week. In the U.S., CPI and retail sales expenditures will be reported.
About AGF Management Limited
Founded in 1957, AGF Management Limited (AGF) is an independent and globally diverse asset management firm. AGF brings a disciplined approach to delivering excellence in investment management through its fundamental, quantitative, alternative and high-net-worth businesses focused on providing an exceptional client experience. AGF’s suite of investment solutions extends globally to a wide range of clients, from financial advisors and individual investors to institutional investors including pension plans, corporate plans, sovereign wealth funds and endowments and foundations.
For further information, please visit AGF.com.
© 2018 AGF Management Limited. All rights reserved.