Some Quick Observations on This Election Day
Author: Greg Valliere
November 8, 2022
November 8. 2022
HALLELUJAH — THE CAMPAIGN IS FINALLY OVER !!
HERE ARE SOME QUICK OBSERVATIONS:
* Joe Biden is out of gas, and everyone in Washington knows it.
* The markets have factored in a Republican sweep, but Democrats still have a chance to barely keep the Senate.
* The House will flip to the GOP, the easiest call of the fall.
* Polltakers are still struggling with their methodology; they appear to under-count
* The Democrats have ignored Hispanic voters, a huge miscalculation.
* The price of food and gasoline determined this election, and the White House was slow to react.
* Donald Trump will claim credit if the GOP has a great night but he crossed the line with conservatives with his stupid taunt of Ron DeSantis.
* Campaign ads were so ubiquitous and annoying that they actually hurt their sponsors.
* U.S. campaigns are way way too long. Canada gets it right, with about two months of campaigning.
* The Biden Administration’s stubborn refusal to accept the need for fossil fuels has backfired spectacularly.
* The issue of climate change got little traction despite unprecedented heat waves.
* The Supreme Court’s Roe v Wade ruling will have an impact — just not as huge as anticipated.
* Crime emerged as a dominant issue; Democrats overwhelmingly oppose defunding the police, but they can’t shake the label that they’re soft on crime.
* The public has shifted sharply against any new federal spending; aid to Ukraine may get a haircut.
* We won’t know all the winners and losers for days to come; recounts are inevitable — and a runoff in Georgia is possible.
* Our great fear? Charges of widespread election fraud would cast a very dark cloud over our increasingly fragile democracy.
FINAL CALLS: Republicans capture 23 House seats, far more than the 5 needed. The Republicans take the Senate by one seat. Democrats lose 5 governorships. Not quite a landslide, but close.
The views expressed in this blog are provided as a general source of information based on information available as of the date of publication and should not be considered as personal investment advice or an offer or solicitation to buy and/or sell securities. Speculation or stated believes about future events, such as market or economic conditions, company or security performance, or other projections represent the beliefs of the author and do not necessarily represent the view of AGF, its subsidiaries or any of its affiliated companies, funds or investment strategies. Every effort has been made to ensure accuracy in these commentaries at the time of publication; however, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Market conditions may change and AGF accepts no responsibility for individual investment decisions arising from the use of or reliance on the information contained herein. Any financial projections are based on the opinions of the author and should not be considered as a forecast. The forward looking statements and opinions may be affected by changing economic circumstances and are subject to a number of uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from those contemplated in the forward looking statements. The information contained in this commentary is designed to provide you with general information related to the political and economic environment in the United States. It is not intended to be comprehensive investment advice applicable to the circumstances of the individual.
AGF Investments is a group of wholly owned subsidiaries of AGF Management Limited, a Canadian reporting issuer. The subsidiaries included in AGF Investments are AGF Investments Inc. (AGFI), AGF Investments America Inc. (AGFA), AGF Investments LLC (AGFUS) and AGF International Advisors Company Limited (AGFIA). AGFA and AGFUS are registered advisors in the U.S. AGFI is a registered as a portfolio manager across Canadian securities commissions. AGFIA is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland and registered with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission. The subsidiaries that form AGF Investments manage a variety of mandates comprised of equity, fixed income and balanced assets.
About AGF Management Limited
Founded in 1957, AGF Management Limited (AGF) is an independent and globally diverse asset management firm. AGF brings a disciplined approach to delivering excellence in investment management through its fundamental, quantitative, alternative and high-net-worth businesses focused on providing an exceptional client experience. AGF’s suite of investment solutions extends globally to a wide range of clients, from financial advisors and individual investors to institutional investors including pension plans, corporate plans, sovereign wealth funds and endowments and foundations.
For further information, please visit AGF.com.
©2023 AGF Management Limited. All rights reserved.